Re: Cooling MOFSETS and IGBT's.

Hi,

Water cooling can pull about 10X the heat out of something compared to
regular convective or forced air cooling.  Since each high voltage section
would be a step up of about 1000 volts, current leakage may be a problem.
The current is DC in this type of SSgap coil (during charging) and then
there is the AC (~150kHz) during firing.  So basically the two ends of the
cooling tubing would be about 20kV from each other.  Oil may be the best
medium for such a system since it is an insulator but can carry off heat
too.  It could be reasonably contained in a little recirc system.

However....  I would hope a SSgap would not require anything but modest air
heat sinks.  If I go pumping hundreds of watts into heating the water, that
energy is coming directly out of the streamers energy...  I think the trick
is to keep the power dissipated in a solid state gap as low as possible so
the streamer gets all the power.

Cheers,

	Terry