Re: Idea for big VTTC

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cwillis-at-guilford.edu>

Hi Drew,

I would be very interested in a large-scale tube coil effort.  It's quite
likely that some surprises and interesting effects are to be found in  >10 kW
CW and pulsed tube coil systems, which to my knowledge have not ever been
built.  If someone has a lot of spare dough to blow...this would be a most
worthwhile project.  It's one of my goals in life to make a 100 kW Staccato
tube coil :>)

About building your own tubes- I think the technical and economic demands keep
most of us from being able to make a good tube.  You need a plethora of
refractory metals and ceramics, vacuum pumping equipment, etc.  But that
shouldn't deter you from building your own tube, even if it cannot handle power
and has lousy performance.  I think it's a super idea that will give anyone an
opportunity to learn about not only tubes, but also high vacuum technique, for
example.  And with the bell jar and vacuum pump you suggested, I don't think
you'd have too hard a time getting a triode that actually worked.  (Here's an
interesting tidbit I found in looking through "Demonstration Experiments in
Physics" (Sutton, 1938):  apparently you can build a "fresh air triode", i. e.
1 atm.,  complete with oxide-coated filament, that allows you to make a
"qualitative determination of several important characteristics of
three-electrode tubes, such as dependence of plate current upon electrode
separations, potentials, filament temperature"....etc.) I'm betting if you make
a simple triode in a medium-vacuum bell jar, even with an aluminum foil plate,
window-screen grid, and lightbulb filaments, you could make a small RF
oscillator with it...  probably not a tesla coil though!

-Carl

"Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
03/19/2001 05:22 PM MST