RE: Triggered spark gaps for coils

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Bob:

I'm not sure building a triggered spark gap needs to be so complex as to
involve the use of ceramic seals.  It would be different if I was building
something for military applications, but I see no reason these couldn't be
made of the same stuff we presently use - PVC, lexan, brass plumbing bits,
etc.  I'm guessing that commercial units are sealed because they don't need
circulated gasses, and if they were left open, ozone and NOx are typically
unwelcome in most environments.  And sealing them makes performance more
repeatable under varying environmental conditions.  In our application, we
don't care if the trigger delay varies a few nsec with varying air pressure
or if we generate a bit of ozone.  And unlike laser applications, we do care
about quenching, something that is served by airflow.  It seems that a
single static air-blast gap could easily be converted to a triggered variety
just by adding a small third trigger electrode.  Plus of course the trigger
electronics...

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

Original poster: "bob golding by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<yubba-at-clara-dot-net>

hi Duncan, all,
    I checked the price of the Marconi gaps just for general interest and
to give some ideas for
people thinking of making there own. The  GTX 30B is a mere 1750 dollars
each in one off's. Didn't ask
about bulk discounts. ;-)) It looks as if making your own or using a ss
system is the way to go. Don't
throw those RSG's away just yet. I think Jim's idea of using an air blast
system sounds the most
practical. I am reading Fruenel's book at the moment... Sealing the ceramic
to the metal end plates
seems to be the most difficult, Anyone got any pointers to info on the type
of ceramics and the
methods used to connect the two?

cheers

bob golding