RE: Troubleshooting Sequence for Tuning, aka HELP!

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi Stan

> How would you approach tuning from here?  I am using a SRSG
> (120bps).  I don't
> have the phase adjustment capability yet, but I know that will be
> added shortly
> to help in the tuning.  Can a grossly mis-phased SG prevent
> breakout?

Yes, most definitely it can. The timing is able to give all the way from no
sparks at all to the best you can get within 40 to 50 degrees of change. I
find the best firing angle may change 30 or 40 degrees over the range of
input voltage to the high voltage transformer.

> Also, I
> am looking at secondary to primary coupling.  The bottom of the secondary
> winding is about 1/2" above the top of the flat primary, and the distance
> between the two is about 3".  Where would folks go from here in the tuning
> process?
>
> Thanks,
> Stan

later