Re: CAPS IN Parallel, and help on a coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/22/01 11:31:10 PM Central Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> 4 .005 uf 15kvdc caps in parallel

Will,

This is the only real problem that I can see w/ your coil.
The 15 kVDC rating isn't going to cut it w/ 15 kVAC input.
First, the pk voltage will be 1.41X the RMS value of an AC
voltage (15 kVAC will have over 21 kV peaks). Also, the re-
sonant rise condition of a Tesla primary circuit will introduce
voltage spikes much higher than the initial input voltage. I
think the general concensus says the cap should be rated at
at least twice the ACRMS input voltage. Of course an LTR
cap would help to hold down the resonant rise, to a certain extent.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben