RE: Chisel-edged electrodes (fwd)

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

While I've not tried or heard of this, I would think it's not a good idea
for several reasons.

1. The small features of a sharp edge would erode faster.
2. A sharp edge would generate corona as the electrodes approached and it
would arc at a wider gap separation.
3. With the arc stemming from a narrow piece of metal, the metal at the
point of arcing would get much hotter and generate more metal ions, which
would work against quenching.
4. I don't think mechanical dwell (electrode alignment time) has much to do
with quenching.  A very long dwell may cause re-firing of the gap in extreme
situations, but this is uncommon.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA