Re: 1600 turns?? (fwd)

In a message dated 3/24/01 5:07:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I have been running a secondary thats 4.5 inches dia, with 775 turns 22awg
>  mag wire.
>
>  I just read on someones coil page that the optimum # of windings is
>  actually 1600!
>
>  The catch is that everyone else that I've met, heard, etc. says that their
>  running anything from 500 to 2000 turns.
>
>  What IS the optimum # of windings??
>
>  Thanks
>  Erik

Erik,

Your's is an excellent question.  The work I've done showed an
advantage when using 1600 turns.  But it is only about a 10%
benefit to the spark length.  Thus your coil will work perfectly
the way it is.  The only way to see the difference is with
careful comparisons.  There are very few people who have
made such comparisons.  I discuss more about this at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

John