Warthog toroid specs

Original poster: "Bert Pool by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bertpool-at-ticnet-dot-com>

The toroid is 6 feet in diameter, with a 2 foot cross section.  The inner
form is made of styrofoam wall sheathing available at any Home Depot type
store.  The center horizontal disk is about 2 feet in diameter (double
thickness material for strength) and has 8 slots cut into the outer edge of
it.  The vertical disks that make up the insides of the ring of the toroid
are slotted to fit into the slots of the horizontal disk.  The entire thing
is covered in chicken wire.  We found chicken wire works much better than
regular screen wire.  Chicken wire is a true mesh and is made up of
hexagonal  cells which will conform to curved surfaces (that's why panty
hose use hexagonal mesh.)  Regular square weave screen wire does not conform
to the complex curves of a toroid well.  The smaller the holes in the
chicken wire, the smoother the surface of the toroid.  The toroid is very
light, cheap to make, is made from readily available materials, and works
very well for large coils.  The ribbed aluminum duct that everyone uses is
great for toroids up to 8 inches cross section, but for really big tops,
styrofoam and chicken wire works just fine.

Bert Pool

construction of the holes.