RE: Aspirated Gap (fwd)

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Good question. Yes the leaf blower was blowing and the
shop vac was sucking. With 15/60, the difference
wasn't all that exciting; 10% at best. But with my
pig, the difference is probably nearly double. I'm
running somewhere between 4 and 6 kVA with only 23.5
nF, (high bps) so the leaf blower just couldn't keep
up. A leaf blower is designed for max output with it's
own unobstructed tube. By attaching small pvc piping
and reducing down to an even smaller brass gas
couplings, I'm sure the airflow is only a small
percentage of design. While a shop vac will still suck
pretty good, even with the hose totally closed.

Do you have any idea how I can approximatly measure
the airflow under both conditions? I suspect the leaf
blower isn't moving nearly as much air as the shop
vac. I guess I could rig up some tubing and water to
see what the static pressure (in inches of water) at
shut-off is for the blower and static vacuum for the
shop vac. After measuring the two, I can open a hole
in the shop vac hose to try and match the cfm of the
leaf blower for a comparison. My guess would be that
the two would perform approximately the same, although
the air no doubt behaves a little differently whether
entering or exiting a nozzle. Sounds like a good
experiment. Not sure when I can get to it. I'll report
back when I do.

Adam

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>
> Hi Adam:
>
> So far as the shop vac working better than the leaf
> blower - was one sucking
> and the other blowing, or were both doing the same
> thing (?) and the shop
> vac just did more of it?
>
> Gary Lau
> Waltham, MA USA
>

> From: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Aspirated Gap
>
> That sounds kind of like what I'm using on my pig
> system at up to 6 kVA. I originally used it with a
> leaf blower, but found that it works best with a
> shop
> vac. See it at:
> http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/tesla/gap.htm
>
> Adam