Re: Primary Winding

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Will,

First let me say primary's can be difficult. The first primary I made were
not the nicest but it
worked just fine. To wind a nice primary, I typically mark primary
positions on each runner prior
to winding. Note that as you wind, the primary gradually grows in diameter,
therefore, each runner
should be marked appropriately. Start from the center and wind outwards
(use prewound copper tubing
from the hardware store).

I like to use tie-wraps to hold down the tubing. Runners can be wood or
other non-conductive
material. If wood, it is a good idea to use standoffs to keep the primary
from lying on the wood
which could carbon track.

Assume I use 0.375" diameter tubing and I want the same spacing (edge to
edge), then I know the
center to center is half of each tube plus the spacing which in this case
happens to be the same as
2 * 0.375" = 0.75" because the spacing is the same as the diameter. I would
mark my innermost start
position. If I'm using 8 runners, then simply 8 / 0.75" = 0.09375" of
growth per runner. So the
next runner will be marked 0.09375" further out than the previous. Once all
8 runners have this
initial mark, I simply mark every 0.75" down the runners for the number of
windings I want.
Naturally, each mark is based of the first and therefore grows
appropriately as the coil is wound.

I drill 1/4" throughholes in the center of the runners strait down at each
mark. Then I start
winding. The tie-wrap is inserted through the bottom of the runner in the
hole and manuevered up
and around the primary tubing. Then manuevered back down "the same hole"
and put through the clamp
at the bottom of the runner. This "centers" the tubing directly over the
mark and secures the
tubing to the runner very well. Again, it's a good idea to put an
insulating strip along the top of
the runner to help keep the rubing off of the wood (if used). This
technique is simple - low cost -
and allows me to position the coiled tubing perfectly into position without
a lot of "fighting".

Always wind 2 or 3 more turns than you actually need for tuning purposes.

Anyway, that's my method.

Take care,
Bart A.