RE: Switch

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All,

 Yep.  Ebay is the place to check for large contactors.  I got my contactors
(500v350A 3P) off Ebay for $36 and change.  Shipping brought it up to
~$45-47 (I can't remember exactly.)  They laugh at switching the pole pig,
and make a very satisfying "CHUNK!* when energized.   The real killer I
found with small contactors (240v30A) was that they weren't designed with
this heavy of an inductive load in mind, and there's pretty bad sparking of
the contacts on opening and closing.  My PFC caps made this a whole lot
worse.  While it won't be much of a big deal for small coils, it becomes
problematic on big trannies.  My small contactors (the 240w30A) welded shut
on me when I used them on the pig at ~20A input. I don't think it was the
current, but the sparking when they closed.  A quick rap with a screwdriver
(after I cut the breaker off) and they popped apart.  A stronger spring
would probably fix it.
 For a small coil, they work fine though.  You may have to clean up the
contacts with emery paper once in a while, depending on the quality of the
contactors (my small ones were cheapies, $2 ea at a flea market, new in the
box)

 Keep it safe!
												Shad