Re: On sparks

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Ken and John,

Very interesting experiment, Ken! The "ring up" time is significantly
longer for this system than for comparable disruptive systems of the same
average power. The long ringup time (or lower primary circuit peak power)
appears to also be limiting the rate that energy can be replenished to the
secondary once breakout has occurred. The initial "collapse" of secondary
output voltage during initial leader propagation is very significant for
this system - it appears to be much higher than for a disruptive system.
Afterwards, the system appears to be unable to "overpower" the additional
energy loss from the leaders, preventing the output voltage envelope from
increasing much beyond about 20% of it's pre-breakout level.

There are some interesting energy insights here...
The E-field and base current measurements imply that it takes a
comparatively large amount of energy to initially form the leaders versus
the amount required to maintain them (at least for near CW operation). The
measured pre-breakout E-field was 10 cm pk-pk, declining to a "steady
state" level of 2 cm on the scope. So, once the initial leaders were
formed, the system reached a new energy balance at a point where the output
voltage was effectively "clamped" to about 20% of the pre-breakout level.
This implies that the creation of the initial leader channel required that
the resonator ring up (over about 32 cycles or 200 uSec) to a peak energy
that was about _24 times greater_ than the energy level required to sustain
the fully formed leaders. And, while displacement currents flowing through
the leaders were sufficient to maintain the leaders, the primary couldn't
supply sufficient additional energy to the secondary to overcome the
heavier loading. The resulting inability to further increase the output
voltage apparently prevented any further leader growth past the initial
length.

I suspect that John's insights about peak power are correct - additional
power must be available for transfer to the secondary at a rate _faster_
than its loss from streamer/leader loading in order for additional leader
growth to occur. Higher peak currents or tighter coupling would be
necessary in this system...

Excellent work, Ken!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>