RE: Tesla Coil Blunders

Hi John,

That small coil has a resonant frequency of 351kHz.  When I put it directly
over a foil ground plane, that drops a bit to around 346kHz.  In Paul's
experiment, the top of the coil had a Tek5100 scope probe attached (3pF
load) plus a 1/4 watt 220k ohm resistor.  That is sort of like a streamer
load.  That 3pF plus 220k ohm top load drops the resonant frequency to
311kHz.  One could note that the 10% drop is rather high for a streamer
loads affect on Fo but I am running in a CW mode (or slow frequency sweep)
so the effect is a bit more pronounced than on a real disruptive coil.
Here are some sweeps of the probe and no probe situation:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SmallCoilSetUp.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/3-4noProbe.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/3-4yesProbe.jpg

Here is also a picture showing clearly the double frequency effect that was
mentioned in another post.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/675tLoad.gif
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Tek00000.gif

These pictures are made with a storage digital scope and a synthesized
sweep signal generator.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P2010014.jpg

Cheers,

	Terry