Re: Tesla Coil Blunders

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

> Bob -
>
> Your discovery of the 10% reduction in calculated TC resonant frequency
> agrees with the data I have collected over the years. Only a few coilers
> test their coils for resonant frequency during actual TC operation using a
> scope or frequency counter. The operating current in the secondary coil
> definitely affects the coil inductance. I have not been able to find a
> method to allow for this reduction at the design stage. As Terry says we
> need new TC computer programs.
>
> John Couture.

	The missing ingredient in this analysis is a quantitative estimator for
the complex impedance of streamer loading after breakout; that in turn
will certainly be dependent of the streamer length as it varies with
power, and perhaps to a lesser extent with upper terminal geometry.
Some empirical data on streamer detuning for a lot of coils with
different parameters would be useful for developing rules of thumb.  Do
you have anything on that subject? All I can tell from your tell from
your messages here is that you have a lot of data on streamer length as
a function of power level.

Ed