Re: My PT is loud!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Drew.  When my tranny's bite the dust they end up giving out a real
loud, vibrating 60 cycle hum. The shorted tranny wants to "walk"
(vibrate) across the surface it is placed upon.  Sometimes a shorted cap
will also do this also, as will most any direct short across your
tranny's secondary.  But usually the loud hum is from a shorted secondary
winding on the tranny itself, and the secondary windings got awful hot
really quick.   Hopefully your tranny is O.K.   AL

_