Re: The AutoCoil

Original poster: "Robert Hughes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <rfhughes-at-epix-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

> Hi Matt.  You know, what scares me is the idea of a high potential field
> anywhere around a gasoline driven vehicle.  I mean, what if, while you
> are operating your car coil that somehow your vehicle came into contact
> with a ground source?  Most, if not all gas tank level sender devices
> utilize a negative ground.  What if, somehow, something or some part of
> your wiring got ahold of a high potential Tesla discharge?   Maybe even
> through a human being as a ground path?  Would that be dangerous?  The
> neon lighting that is used for undercarriage and license plate wiring may
> not be too dangerous, and may run at a few thousand volts. And since you
> realize that the automotive ignition system requires 20,000 volts or so
> to fire your plugs it may not be a problem, but that is a low tension
> D.C. device.  But you are talking about a Tesla that may impart upwards
> of 250,000 volts or better to get the results you want.  And perhaps
> using an inverter to gain a higher powered A.C. field, well, I would be
> very careful if I were you. It may be a pocket rocket!  Sounds dangerous
> to me!  A diesel fired engine, maybe.  But gasoline is pretty darn
> volatile.  I would be very careful.  It sounds too dangerous to me.
> JMO.    Al.

This worried me too, I think you might get away with it if you have a
pretty nice faraday cage working for you, especially around a gas tank.
I would try it with a golf cart or electric vehicle before anything,that
or shoot your old coil at like an old "junker" car to test the theory.

				Mike H