rotary question

Original poster: "bob golding by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>

Hi All,
    I tested my rotary again today. It still works ;-) I am a bit
confused about the break rate though. I am running 8 flying electrodes
and 4 static ones. I run the gap up with the cover off to see how it was
firing. I noticed that it was only firing on two of the static gaps. I
then realized that I had got the spacing wrong on the static electrodes.
I had them set at 90 degrees I am now totally confused about the break
rate.
1:
Is the the formula RPM/60 x number of flying electrodes/number of
static electrodes?
2:
 I am using 10 47 NF arcotronics caps in series ,with a total
capacitance of 87 nF. My power supply is a 8.2 kV 250 ma radar
transformer with a inductive ballast. It was drawing about 12 amps with
the static gap. I didn't have time to check the current today but it
should be around the same
3:.
I think to get the maximum break rate with 8 flying electrodes at 45
degrees apart  the static electrodes need to be 22.5 degrees apart?
4:
The coil was giving the best sparks at a speed of 2100 RPM. If the
above forula is right this is only 140 BPS. If this is the case I must
be really hammering my caps,They are getting warm.

Can someone tell me how to work this out please before I fry all my
caps. Killed a string of caps today. I think this was due to the inside
primary connection coming off rather  than the break rate, I ran the
coil up, no sparks,  thought it was out of tune tried again and noticed
smoke and flames coming from the cap. Opps, only damaged one cap in the
middle of the string closest to the connections. some photos  of the
fried cap will appear on hot streamer soon I hope.I must warn you they
don't make pleasant viewing  :-(( well not to me anyway.

cheers
bob golding