Re: MOT problems/strange MOT?...Please Help!!

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Mike Waddick wrote:

> Well the MOTS are alittle wierd because they have three HV
outputs.

Mike,

I have just checked more than a dozen MOTs on my attic and
found that *all* of them have two independent secondary windings
without taps.

One winding (thin wire, many turns) is for the levelshifter and
provides e.g. 2630 V / 550 mA. One of its legs is connected to the
core of the MOT.

The other winding (thick insulated wire, few turns) is for the filament
of the magnetron and gives e.g. 3.36 V / 9.3 A as per faceplate. It
is neither connected to the HV winding nor to the core, i.e. it is
floating.

The primary winding (thick magnet wire, many turns) sometimes
has got a tap for 230V / 120 V use. Are you sure not to have mixed
up the primary with the secondary winding?

You seem to own unusual MOTs. Please be very careful, those
MOTs could be lethal. Always keep one hand in your pocket.

Regards,

Herwig