cap in overdrive?

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

With the "pig in overdrive" thread, I couldn't resist....

A few weeks ago, a couple friends at The Geek Group and myself came across
a very inexpensive power distribution PFC cap at a surplus store.  It was
labeled "NO PCBS", so I decided it would make at least a great conversation
piece along with a 5500V 200A fuse....

So, the cap is labeled 2400V, 100kVAR (about 50uF) and has a 95kV BIL!!   I
was thinking (since I'm currently building a rather large regulated power
supply for a school project) of using this as a smoothing cap in a DC
TCsystem (not necessary, I know).  But, what is the highest voltage that
Ishould run this at?  Certainly with such a high BIL, I could run more
than2400VAC through it without it blowing up.  What do you guys think the
highestvoltage this thing can run at?  I suppose if I could find a 2400V
tranny,I could use it as a massive PFC cap, but would I really ever need a
full5000uF of PFC (not to mention dealing with another large tranny to haul
around)?  Appears that all I have is one half of a "geek-style" coffeetable?

Thanks a lot!

Mark B