Re: Final Preparations fo Tesla HD Project, Questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/27/01 9:47:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> ArcStarter3-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> Fellow Tesla Enthusiasts,

Snip

> I've hypothesized that this is a capacitive effect; the wire and my hand
> being the plates of the virtual capacitor and the insulation being the
> dielectric. Further evidence that supports this conclusion is that the
> sensation intensifies as more of my hand is exposed to the wire.
>
> So my main concern is: will it be a problem when running the Jacob's Ladder
> around many people? I have only tried it with the wire connected to one
> terminal, and not arcing to the opposite terminal or ground, and yet the
> sensation was quite strong. Will this "force-field" become a problem with
> the
> full 900 VA flowing through the wires, possibly presenting a shock or fire
> hazard?
>
> I've already planned out everything I'm going to do to prevent mishaps
> during
> the competition, such as a crude lockout mechanism (it won't work without
> the
> fuse ;-)), HV wire, insulated terminals, etc. Plus, I'm not planning on
> leaving the HV stuff anytime during the competition. The Jacob's Ladder
> will
> also be run with a fairly low duty cycle (5 seconds on, 30 off) to reduce
> electrode heating.

Snip

> Regards,
>
> Josh Hunsaker

Hi John,

I believe that your analysis of the effect is essentially correct. Since the
intensity will fall off as the square of the distance, "look from a couple of
feet away, but don't touch" should be adequate safety. However, you might
recommend that anyone with
1) A pacemaker
2) Artificial limbs/joint replacements
3) Steel cranial plate