Re: Why do TC's use line filters wired in reverse

Original poster: "Jan Florian Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

> The idea is to filter the AC mains from seeing as much of this junk as
> possible since the line is also tied to our houses and appliances.

You could improve RF attenuation (steepness) by stringing up two or more
commercial filters in series.

There seem to be different types of filters around - filters to protect
the mains against t.ex. example switch mode power supply outputted (sp?)
noise, and RF filters to protect the devices themselves from spikes and
mess coming from the mains. They filter either "common-mode" noise on the
conductors, referenced to ground, or noise between the two conductors. Or
together, both.

So actually an RF filter with both a symmetric and non-symmetric chokes &
filter should be best for TC use.

An entirely different thing is the TC radiated noise that is picked up by
the mains cables after the filter(s) and also in the cabling inside the
walls... Not much what can be done about that one.

greetz,
Jan