RE: Capacitor configuration?

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi David,

> Original poster: "David Knaack by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dknaack-at-rdtech-dot-com>
>
> Do you mean the full 0.025uF would be too much for the
> 12/20 NST, and that a single string at 0.0125uF would
> be better?

Yes, that is what I mean.

> What about dropping down to 0.007uF as suggested in
> the other reply?  I save money on caps, but I'm not
> sure how the change in capacitance effects things
> (other than the tap position on the primary of course).

It would work just fine. However, keep in mind that at the "resonant size"
the cap voltage can rise very high and may cause some problems with the cap
or NST if the gap were to miss fire. Using a LTR cap helps to keep the
voltage down, but still gives additional charging from the inductive kick
you get when near the resonant size. 12.5nF would be a good size to use with
a static or a SRSG.

Later

deano