Re: Repost RE: Explain 3 Phase

Original poster: "Alex Crow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <alexcrow-at-blueyonder.co.uk>

Yes, it is 180 degrees out. Any *electronic* engineer will tell you that the
two lines are 180 out of phase. The ground reference has *no effect* and can
be ignored! The waves are a mathematical function of time, but the "time"
axis actually represents the "angle" input to the trigonometric functions.

Eg the top wave could be represented as

V1=sin(t)

and the bottom as

V2=sin(t+180)

if, of course, you are using degrees to calculate. Most electronic texts use
radians by default. The phase angle is unaffected by any static rail between
the lines. Of course, I know where you are coming from, ie measuring V1 from
Ground to the top live, then V2 from the bottom live up to ground. Yes, then
the signals will appear to be in phase, but it's not something you'll find
most guys doing here. We always talk in degrees of phase shift between
lines/signals.

Alex Crow