RE: Repost RE: Explain 3 Phase

Original poster: "Tuite, Tom by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <TTuite-at-ALLEGROMICRO-dot-com>

Ah HA!!!!  Now I see where the confusion comes from!  Its not a phase issue
at all but one of hookup. This says it all:

> > Of course, I know where you are coming from, ie measuring V1 from
> > Ground to the top live, then V2 from the bottom live up to ground.
> > Yes, then the signals will appear to be in phase, but it's not
> > something you'll find most guys doing here.
>
> 	They really would be best advised to understand, if
> 	contemplating a 240v hookup....

You see, if you hold two 3V batteries in your hand and put them in series
both facing in the same direction.  Then, if you take a DMM and read the
voltage from the - terminal of the first battery to the + terminal of the
second, you will get a 6V reading. So, you COULD say the battery voltages
are "in phase" (though really I would never say this).  If, now you took one
battery and flipped it around, and then took your DMM reading again, this
time from - terminal to - terminal, you would get a 0V reading and now you
could say the battery voltages are 180 degrees out of phase (ok silly
example, but hey it works :) ).  The same applies to the above mentioned
hook-ups.  Oooooooo and while I am posting, has any one here head of the
Hall effect?  I was wondering if any one has experimented with controling a
primary with a Hall effect swtich, hehe being an ultra newbie coiler I am
prob not the one to try :)

Tom T.