Re: Micro coil specs? pics? (was Micro coil earthing)

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Joe, I built a micro mini ultra tiny microscopic coil (as described by my
physics teacher). It was 6W off an ignition coil, 950V (yes not 9.5KV) at
like 10mA. It was wound over a 4" 0.8" powder vitamin tube. I used some
hornby railway trach for the primary and a little wheel of a train to tune
it.

I notices you wanted an idea for a small SG - well heres what I used:

I bought a micrometer and glued two insulating pads onto each point, then
put little tungsten blobs (best word ;) on the end, which were connected to
the leads. Because of the very low voltage there was no arcing problems, and
I could adjust the sg on the fly, as it were. To quench I used an Argon gas
bottle. I used 3 HV caps in paralell from RS components as my cap bank and I
used thick solid core mains wire for my leads. The SG arced over at about
1/16 of an inch and usng a microphone and a scope (crude i know) i checked
tthat It was not misfiring (which it wasnt). I can touch the topload (a
little ballbearing) and i get a little tingle. The sparks are about 1" long
and there is a very bright corona on the topload when there is no availible
ground wire.

Some cool experiments that you can do are to put various lightbulbs on top
of the topload and hold them - you get plasma forming inside them. Also
spraying welding argon over the topload creates a whitish yellow glow.

Have fun,
Jason