Re: grounding?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/3/01 7:16:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> RQBauzon-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> At Chip Atkinson's site, those images which show you how to ground the
> s.coil
> show a "grounding strap".  what's that? Is it just an expression for
> whatever
> material you use? if  it's a real product, where can I get it?

        A grounding strap is usually a very flexible, flat, bare, woven
copper belt (looks like a boy scout or military uniform belt made of braided
copper). The term is also used for tinned copper tubular braid squashed flat.
I've also seen the term used for a pair of #0 AWG cable pieces with heavy
copper lugs at each end to accomodate a 5/16" stud. At www.allelectronics-dot-com
they are selling tubular braid good for 30-40 Amps continuous at 3ft/$1.00 (3
pcs min) or $0.25/ft for 100 ft or more + S&H. If you make a long, skinny
oval from a  double length, form a small loop at each end to accommodate a
bolt, presto, you have a grounding strap good for 60-80 Amps for a couple of
bucks. Just remember, grounding straps are NOT insulated.
Hope this helps,
Matt D.