Re: X-ray film capacitors

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

is there anything toxic in the "coatings" of these plates? because most
plastics are actually identified by the "burn and sniff" test,
polyethylene has the "sweetish" odor that we mostly know and mylar has
an acrid smell like acid, propylene kind of smells like a cross between
styrene and polyethylene and so on. these smells and the flame
characteristics are well documented in plastics engineering and may be
found on some web sites? if you have a piece of mylar handy give it a
light and "waft" the fumes for a VERY LIGHT sniff then compare, but do
this very lightly and please if there are any polymer men out there,
please comment.