RE: Primary dummy-loading

Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

Hi Gary,

> The 120V/500W lamps each have a 29 Ohm hot-resistance, or 58 Ohms for
> two. So, at least they're in the ballpark.  I could add a 3rd series
> lamp...

My lamps were 240V devices.  1kW 500mm long,  and I have used up to 5 in
series when dumping 3-4kW.  Your 2x 120V/500W lamps are probably getting
hit pretty hard,  so another one or two in series would reduce the peak
current.  However it amazed me how these lamps seem to take this extreme
treatment in their stride !

If you plan to do a lot of work with this setup,  and find the brilliant
light distracting,  you can get these halogen lamps with a "Ruby" glass
sleeve.  They are used for Infra Red space-heating,  paint-curing etc..
The sleeve takes out like 90% of the visible light,  leaving only the IR
to heat your garage ;-)  They do get exceedingly hot though.

Here's a picture of what they look like,  (in case you know a mate in the
respray business ;-)

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/irlamps.jpg
							Cheers,

							-Richie,