Re: Sphere/Toroid Comparison Chart

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Luc,

On 9 May 01, at 20:51, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <ludev-at-videotron.ca>
>
> Hi Matt, Kurt, all
>
> Tx guy, both of your answer are logical, I know that
> electrostatic equations are not particularly easy .... To have a
> final word on that we probably need measurement and if Matt
> theory is good; measurement at high voltage ( not sure about that but
> I think the repulsive force could be higher at higher voltage pushing
> the charge farther on the exterior ???).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luc Benard

I would have thought it was about e.s. field rather than charge
distribution?? Suppose you have a toroid charged to some voltage. You
can't argue that charges are unevenly distributed over its surface as
there would be a potential difference between portions of a conductor
and hence a current flow without any input of energy. Y-N? The
portions of the toroid facing each other will have a minimal nett
electric field between them. Or is my inderstanding incomplete?

Malcolm