The Pain-Performance Barrier, was Secondary

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><A123X-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Do you put buy "something" from the geek group in every post?

Whenever I can, yeah. The Group is growing up fast, we're expanding out
facility, our abilities, our membership, and out budget. We're also
expanding our bills.

Because of our unique position in the Tesla Community I'm driven to do
everything I can to help as much as I can. Especially with one of the
hardest aspects to building a coil, equipment scrounging. Remember, the
mission of the Group is to make the subjects of science and technology
accessable to those with a sincere desire to learn. I spend a LOT of time
working on getting gear donated, or scrounged. Frequently we get things that
we can sell or donte to other Groups because either we have 400 of them and
only needed 8 (this happens regularly, I only triend to get 2 X-ray
transformers, I have 7 and counting) or we get something we can't use or
whatever.

In the past year the Group has contributed signifigantly to the Coiling
community, and it's my hopes that we will increase this aspect of our
operations greatly, with the eventuall opening of the High Voltage Labs at
Sigma-6 where members can come and work together to study hands on large
coils, and other HV, HE projects. I hope to make it possible to remove a LOT
of the myth and mystery of Tesla Coils, and some of Tesla's other work.

I gotta build one of those Mark Twain tables :)

At this moment the Group is the largest supplier of MMC caps out there,
we're selling as many as you need at great prices, in 2 sizes. We've also
got the Shirts, some HV gear (I'm the definitive packrat and won't sell
anything I think we'll EVER use), Custom street luges (summer's here!), and
some other goodies.

What price
>would like a 2KVA potential tranny cost?

Well, the shipping is gonna kill ya. Make me an offer (Off list), but
really, it's only a 1.5kVA PT, and that's kind of a pain. For a 1.5kVA power
supply, you can gang a few NST's and have a supply that
s alreay current limited and not have to dink around with all that headache.
I think that for anyting under 10kVA it's not worth the trouble to use a PT
or a Pig. I was wondering what others thought on this. What is the point at
which an unballested transformer is too small to be worth the trouble? I say
10kVA is the Pain-Performance Barrier.

As an aside,

The XRay place has a M A S S I V E Transformer. I don't know weather it's
continuous or X-Ray duty but I heard from the owner that it's 1500mA -at-
150kV, and from the size of this thing I believe it could actually be
continuous. It's fed with 3Ph 480VAC. I know the math gets weird with 3Ph,
what is the imput amerage for this beast? kVA?
He says he already has a home for it (either that or he's afraid I'll kill
the town with neutron emmisions), but he said I can have the next one he has
coming in in a few months, it's a duplicate to this one.
I'll have to rent a truck to move it though, it's WELL over a ton.
It's rather funny looking, I'll get some pics soon and hopefully get close
enough to examine the makerplate.

Have fun!

Duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1