RE: Ignition coil burned?

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

If you are referring to an automobile ignition coil, then the input is 12
volt. This takes me back to my childhood when I just loved to play with
those ignition coils. In my early teen years, I managed to collect many
NSTs, five pole pigs, three huge potential transformers, three x-ray
transformers, big industrial inductors, a large industrial powerstat, and
much more. A special find was an induction coil that was three feet long
with coils one foot in diameter, and it would shoot white sparks over a foot
long. Another special find was a 1000 lb 150,000V/1000MA transformer. The
porcelain terminals of this beast ended in big brass balls. I would ballast
the beast with one of my big inductors. To the terminals I would connect a
transmission line of two 50 foot wires separated about three feet. At night,
I would slowly bring up the primary voltage with a variac. The transmission
wires would hiss and glow with a blue color. The wires would sway back and
forth. Finally an arc would form and race down the length of the
transmission line in few seconds. There was a continuous racing of arcs
along the line--a sort of horizontal Jacob's ladder with very fast moving
arcs. It would drive the neighbors crazy.

Godfrey Loudner