Copper pipe spark gap variant

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

I wondered if double-stick foam tape could be used both to hold the copper
pipe (3/4 inch) down and to separate the pieces of copper pipe.  I tried it
and the gaps are about 40-45 thousandths.  This seems too wide.  My 12kv
XFMR only jumped 5 gaps.  I had to try it twice.  The first time, the pipes
had little ridges from the pipe cutter and the arcs liked those spots and
stayed there.  Tested across the NST only.  I cut a lengthwise piece out of
a 4" PVC pipe and put the copper pipes across the opening and mounted a fan
on the end.  Blowing into the 4" pipe caused the power arcs to run down to
one end and burn the foam tape; the fan swirled the air.  Turning the fan
around for suction worked much better.  Anyhow, I am still going to use the
foam tape to hold the copper pipes but I'm looking for a 20-25 thousandths
spacer material.

Has anyone tried a SRSG using an insulating disk with holes or slots cut in
it to allow electrodes mounted on each side (very close) to arc across?  A
friend of mine suggested it and I may try it in the future.  Is this
feasible?

I got some of the brass balls from http://www.grandbrass-dot-com/catalog.html
(order by phone) and they are solid brass.  The center hole is bored nearly
through but I don't think it's a problem.  The 1 1/8" balls I got have some
pipe thread but they sell adapters.  I'll let y'all know how they work in a
spark gap when I get it going.  The cost is reasonable if you get the 10 or
more price.

Regards,

Pete