Re: A few questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/24/01 3:26:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Well I've had a few questions in the back of my mind for a few days now so
> here
> goes:
>
> 1. I have two nice 0-75 amp AC ammeters with 5 amp full scale movement.
> Thus I
> need 75-5 (15-1) current transformers. I also have two 150-5 (30-1), but no
> 75-5 current transformers. Since my CTs are twice the size I need can I just
> wind two turns in the winding window on the CT? I'm assuming that this is
> how
> you hook them up (they are square shaped with two terminals on top and a 2"
> hole through the middle) and that they only normally have the hot line
> passing
> through the middle.
>
> 2. Could a three phase transformer be run from a single phase to three phase
> converter for motors like the one here
> <http://www.metalwebnews-dot-com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html>http://www.metalweb
> news-dot-com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html
>
> 3. What would a "tripolar" tesla coil look like (like a bipolar but three
> coils
> run on three phase) i.e. spark behavior, appearance?
>
> Jason Johnson

Hi Jason, All!
        Tripolar coils have been proposed numerous times in the past.
Theoretically, at any one time there could be arcs between any two of the
three coils, but they would be somewhat smaller than those produced by a
bipolar coil. The tripolar coils has been a darling of some UFOlogists and
other fringe experimenters, but  to my knowledge no one has succeeded in
building an effective one. Of interest, (IMO) might be a "triple bipolar
coil". This would be a circle of six, with voltage peaking at the
diametrically opposed pairs of coils in rotation. If the ionized air and
plasma in the center did not have time to dissipate, (perhaps inside a large
globe) the results MIGHT be interesting. Toploads would have to be smaller or
of unusual shapes so that they were not closer to each other than to the
center. Such a system would require a fairly large lab area (hear that
Chris?!) To my knowledge, no one has successfully done this yet either.
Just some thoughts for the future,
Matt D.