Re: Actual measurements MattD Coil - E-Tesla6 anomoly

Hi Matt and All,

This discontinuity appears just as the strike rail passes through the virtual
Gaussean sphere that is used to compute the capacitance of the secondary
system.  In one case the rail is inside the sphere and in the other it is
outside.  There is a "blip" (Microsoft = feature :-))) as it passes through.  I
thought this was the case but it was not working for me till I got your exact
inputs you used which were different than I assumed...  At a primary height of
about 19.5 inches, the Gauss spherical enclosed surface and the strike rail
crash together.  That combined with "Terry's fabulous interpolating resolver
routine" (hastily thrown together but seems to work sometimes :-))) seems to be
causing the error.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MattFeature.gif

Super useful to have diagnostic output files now :-)))

What is really a pain is that the error is on the wrong side.  I am sure there
is some Murphy's law that states that "given obviously known correct and
incorrect hypotheses, the data will always correspond to the wrong one..."  I
could hope that your 1960's HP thing is "out of cal" but that's probably a
stretch :-))  I assume the strike rail was grounded in your measurements...  If
it was floating things would make a bit more sense to me (still grasping at
straws here :-))).

I knew when I added the strike rail "MS Strike Rail Feature for Windows" that
there may be times when it would violate Carl Gauss's law.  I was hoping it
would all just work out, but ya know how that stuff goes :-p

So the source of the problem is known...  I have no idea as to the "fix" but
thinking on it...  Sort of good that the total error is only 4% but...

Cheers,

        Terry

At 08:51 PM 5/23/2001 -0400, you wrote:

> In a message dated 5/23/01 2:01:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> terry-at-hot-streamer-dot-com writes:
>

> Hi Matt,
>
> Wow! Neat data. There does seem to be a bug somewhere in E-Tesla.
>
> I have a request.  Can you send me the output.txt file for the before and
> after situations.  I just want to be sure I am working with the correct
> numbers when I go bug hunting.  This will give me two solid situations to
> compare variables and such with.  It may have something to do with the strike
>
> rail, but I will have to dig into it...
>
> You should also forward this data to the list since others are interested
> too.  The Excel file is posted at:
>

> <http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MeasvsET6.xls>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/M
> easvsET6.xls
>
> Thanks for all your work on this!!
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry
>
> Hi Terry, All!
>
> Here's a file from each side of the discontinuity. Measured values (in situ
> with gap shorted) were 287 KHz and 286 KHz, as close as I can tell with my HP
>
> model 200cd ( ca.1960) analog signal generator and 2 LEDs :

snip...