Re: MOT, and doubler

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Unfortunately, there are many, many different MOTs out
there.  I assume you want a matched pair.  If you
e-mail me a JPG of it, perhaps I can match one up from
my stash.

The diode is usually made of black plastic.  It might
be a small cylinder about the size of a cigarette
filter, with axial leads of stiff wire.  It might be a
rectangular plastic brick an inch or two long.  Some
of them have spade terminals instead of wire leads.
Rarely I have found diodes with a hole at each end for
screw mounting, with spade terminals. It should have
been attached to the capacitor somehow.

I once built a very potent 12kvdc Tesla coil power
supply based on two MOTs with voltage doublers.  The
thing sucked 20 Amps from a 240V welder outlet and
eventually destroyed my expensive MMC, but what a
performer!  I still have all the pieces of it in my
garage, although the MOTs now serve as my pig ballast.
 You can see it on my web site.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg