Re: Rotary gap safety - RE: spark gap muffler?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/25/01 5:49:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Chris, and Gregory,
>
> I saw a video once of one of Greg Leyh's big rotary gaps coming apart at an
> SRL show.  The parts breaking away (a bearing got a primary arc and
> suddenly welded solid I think) hit that shield like a ton of bricks!!
> Heavy steel plate, well bolted down, not only to control parts but to
> literally control an "explosion" is needed!  If the rotor comes off, or
> worse, cracks away so it suddenly becomes super unbalanced, you will have a
> monster on your hands really fast!!
>
> I looked at:
> http://www.srl-dot-org/
> but they don't have a video of it up.  It was pretty cool!!
>
> This is obviously a much larger concern for a publicly demonstrated coil
> with an audience filled with lawyers...  A daily inspection probably with a
> check sheet is a good idea to insure consistent safety.  Small low RPM
> rotors are far more tame but I always position the rotor so I am not in the
> plane of the disk incase something flies off and I usually have Shields
> unless I am fiddling with them :-))
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Terry

Hi Terry, Chris, et al!

Here is a quick table of how fast things are thrown from the edge of a disk
running at 3600 RPM. As you can see, things get real nasty, real quick.
Diam    Tangential
(in.)        velocity (mph)
4.00 42.8
5.00 53.5