Re: Rotary gap safety - RE: spark gap muffler?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/26/01 12:50:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Great chart Matt, but if we evaluate 128 mph, it is only about 1/7
> the speed of a normal bullet, and my 30-30 lead bullet weighs close
> to what a 3/8" X 1" tungsten electrode would. :)

Hi all,

Which means that at a given mass, it would only have about 1/50
of the available kinetic energy as the 30-30 bullet. The kinetic ener-
gy of a given mass is directly proportional to the square of its veloci-
ty. Of course, tungsten would have more sectional density than the
lead of a bullet, since lead's specific gravity is 11.3 and tungsten's
is a whopping 19.3 (the same as gold). But at only about 1/7 of the
velocity of typical ballastic levels, I don't think the penetration factor
would terribly significant. OTH, I sure wouldn't want to be in the
path of a 125 mph, 1/4 to 1/3 oz. piece of tungsten <:-0 It could de-
finitely still mame or possibly kill!

Be safe,
David Rieben