RE: Brass Ball static spark gap not doing so well

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Terry,

I was setting the safety gap with it connected in the protection circuit and
thus to the NST.  I set the static gap with it connected to the NST only.  I
tried a different approach today and set the safety gap, then connected the
static gap in parallel (the usual place, across HV after the protection
circuit with safety gap.).  The gap is now 25 gaps of 0.005" (set with a
feeler gauge; 0.005 was go, 0.007 no go).  When the static gap fired, the
safety gap also fired.  From about 0.161" (again checked with a feeler
gauge) per side, I opened the gap to 0.199".  Now the static gap arcs but
the safety doesn't.  I'll try it with the TC as soon as I can.

I am wondering about building a version of your static gap (multiple pipes
and all).  See below.

Greg,

I will probably try a single sucker gap sometime soon.  I have an old vacuum
cleaner that I could use.  If it's low maintenance, low resistance, why not?

Deano,

I'm beginning to think that copper is the way to go.  The problem I see with
balls is that the arc jumps the gap in only one place.  With the multiple
pipe Terry gap, the arc can jump anywhere on a 2" section of pipe.  The ball
concentrates erosion in one place.  So far with brass, the performance
degrades so fast that it is hard to tell if tuning changes make any
difference; i.e., move the primary tap in and streamers shorten, move it
back out and they are still shorter.

Anyhow, thanks for all the replies.  I imagine that I will build both a
sucker gap and a Terry gap, because I enjoy building stuff, and I'd like to
compare.

Regards,

Pete