Re: the geek group

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Gbjsjg-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>The geek group website is down and I was trying to contact them,
>unsuccesulfully, in order that I could buy a 100 of the .15 2kv cornell
>dublier capacitors.
>
>-Max Joseph
>Gbjsjg-at-aol-dot-com

Just email to the List and I'm guarenteed to see it :) I read almost every
post, every day.

The website is *supposed* to be up tomorrow, but there's a running bet on
that. ISERV (our former ISP) is being a serious pain about transferring the
domain to us, they'd rather overcharge our account again. The new site is
fantastic, completely recoded, in Dreamweaver and Macromedia Shockwave and
Flash. We've been working on the new site for 3 months! and it's still not
complete, but it's quite functional. The new site will have the complete
15GB C.A.R.M.E.N. Archives, and TONS of Tesla Coil and other High Voltage,
High Energy info.

In other News.

Mark came out for the weekend and we had a blast. We had Mark, Alia, Tink,
Tim, Ben, Mini-Me (Little Chris), and Myself all stuffed into Little St for
4 days. I'm happy to have my little 600SqFt apartment not littered with
bodies sleeping everywhere again.

Over the weekend Mark Broker (Geek#10) worked his butt off on the Thumper
project. We now have a small (if you can call 1.7kJ small) module prototyped
and functional. It sounds like a quarter stick of dynamite going off and you
can feel the shockwave in your chest 30' away across the room. We tried Can
Crushing (with moderate success) but found Can Exploding MUCH more fun :).
We learned quite a few things about cap-discharge setups.

1. We need some 30A diodes.
2. 4 caps (each cap is 450VDC 2000uF Electrolytic Cornell Dubilier computer
grade) sound like a 9mm when discharged across a wire.
3. 30 caps make a BRING flash, shockwave, and loud bang, and shred a Sprite
can.

We also worked on Sam a bit. With a large (think the furnace in your house)
Squirrell Cage blower on Crap-Gap-III the coils performance improved
markedly. We are getting consistant power-arcs to a grounded rod 51" away.

It still sucks, but it's getting better.

There was much rejoiceing Saturday evening and now we have 2 cases of Mikes
Hard Lemonade bottles to make some more SW caps. I love the MMCs, don't get
me wrong. But for testing of high power systems I'd rather destroy $20 worth
of bottles than risk $500 worth of caps.

We also took a few dozen pics of our other goodies for sale. some of which
are....

4 large switches/breakers, each 3 pole, rated 600VAC 400A
Several X-Ray transformers, varying sizes.
Some BEEFY power supplies and such.
X-Ray tubes, complete, some with housings/cooland tubes,etc
and various other goodies. If you're looking for something let me know.

I'm looking for help on a triggered spark gap that can handle some MASSIVE
current for the Thumper project. Basically I need a resetable crowbar for a
50kJ cap bank. The downside is I need it to work at as little as 400V. This
is impossible in a spark gap as far as I know, ideas?

Have Fun campers

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek