Re: Variac current and VA rating

Original poster: "Shaun Epp by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <scepp-at-mts-dot-net>

Hello Pete,

I the poor guy trying to unpot a MagneTeK Jefferson NST...    :^(((
while still waiting to see if I can reserect this soggy transformer I have
some answers for your variac question.

Well,   Power in must = power out   which is almost the same as the VA (volt
amps) rating.  Power (resistive load) & VARs (reactive load ... inductive/
capacitive) load.  so it would seem this is a posibility but, there is a
current limit for the wire (which I have exceeded in the past ... gives
smoke signals   :-0  ).  The 180 degree phase shift is the same as swapping
the output wires.  If your not already aware,  the Variac is an
autotransformer, meaning it's one continuous length of wire rapped around a
toroidial core of iron.  The connections to it are taps on this coil (single
layer as you see).  The wipper connected to center(variable) terminal wipes
across the top of the toroidial transformer / coil and you can get different
voltages.    Check to see if a current maximum is listed .. that would be
the indicator.  otherwise it shound work   if within VA and current limits
.... I wouldn't interconnect windings though !
VA=    /    power(watts)^2 + reactance(VAR's)^2

Shaun Epp
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada