Re: Racing arc clues...

Original poster: "Robin Copini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rcopini-at-merlin-dot-net.au>

Hi Terry,

 I am very interested in this thread as I have been dogged by this regularly
since building my coil from day one. I have found that I can run my unit at
almost any power level on one day with perfect results, pack it up, set it up
again on another day in exactly the same place, same rf grounds, the power
supply is still where I left it, and then get racings arcs up and down the
secondary. I always wipe down the secondary, topload, and primary with a cloth
before running. What I usually do to rectify this is to either slightly raise
the secondary, or close down the gaps, (even though its a sync rotary, I still
vary the gap size). Note that the tuning point does not change from one day to
the next. I have some still photos of these arcs and they tend to start
roughly one third from the top and either arc straight down the secondary or
arc across to the strike rail. I have seldom seen these arcs originating from
near the top windings where one would assume the highest potential is.

just my two cents worth.

 Best Regards

 Robin Copini.