Re: Baiting and and being made to look like a fool.

Hi Garry,

Since the Tesla list is E-mail based, it suffers from some classic e-mail
problems...

We are not really "talking to you" but rather typing in front of a glass
tube and in many ways talking to a glass tube as we type away.  Thus,
e-mail looses much of the "personal" side.  The use of emotocons
(spelling?? - I'll be getting mail bout that :-))  ( :-) :-( :-O ...) to
try and convey what we mean helps some but E-mail is really just a bunch of
words on glass...

Sometimes everyone agrees with a post, they are too busy, they have no idea
what you are talking about, or they think someone else will respond... and
it simply does not get a big response.  When it gets answered, suddenly, it
seems to go up on the priority list to get scrutinized since now it is an
"issue" since someone else said something about it...  That just seems to
be the way this E-mail stuff is...  Of course, if that post is in
disagreement, then we have "controversy"!! and everyone needs to jump in to
set us all straight :-))

Then you have people from all different countries with all different
backgrounds that try and convey meanings in their own way that gets
"mis-interpreted" on the other side of the planet...

I think all regular posters to the list have had their ups and downs.  I
know of few of my ideas have gotten slaughtered over the years but that has
saved me a bunch of waisted effort too.  Everyone is just trying to help
out and sometimes they sort of plainly "tell it like it is".  That is easy
to do when typing to a glass tube and sometimes things get worded a little
differently than if you were there in person.

There is also the problem...  Say something right, and everyone agrees with
you in silence...  But, God forbid, say something wrong, and 800 people
will tell you your wrong...

There is also the tendency that the people that agree with you will not say
anything more because you already said it.  Thus, the "me too's" stay
silent making you look like the only one who believes that way.  That may
have been an issue here.  Some NST installers have gone through 3
transformers before they get one that even works.  Some NSTs really do come
from the factory that are garbage.  There is no doubt at all that some NSTs
are junk and to repeat it does not add to the post of the day so you didn't
get much "support".  But rest assured, you were right!

So the E-mail world has some rough spots when it comes to communicating.
Everyone I have ever met from the list is ultra nice and I am sure no one
means any harm.  Occasionally, someone gets carried away but the moderator
usually catches them.  Once in a great while we get a "bad puppy" that Chip
and me have to work on...

I can assure you, Garry, that I have the greatest respect for you.  You are
one of the "real" coilers out there.  You don't have an EE degree or a
basement full of electronic equipment, but you are like 95% of the people
out there trying to have a great time coiling.  Many things like that
simply go unsaid because we assume they are understood.

As moderator, "I" get the real juicy stuff :-))  But a thick hide is part
of my job.  In a way that is sort of bad because I don't catch a few things
here and their that "I" don't consider a big deal.  After a long day being
compared to Hitler, Mussolini, and (Gulp!) Castro I sometimes just don't
catch the subtle stuff :-)))

So Garry please don't feel picked on.  It is just the way the E-mail world
is.  It is sort of gnarly, but it is sort of wonderful too!!

Cheers,

	Terry