Re: How much salt?

>Original poster: "Bob Bozarth by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><jbdetails-at-prodigy-dot-net>
>
>     I'm building SW Caps for the first time. I have researched the net
>quite
>extensively, however I am unsure of the affects of the amount of salt in
>the
>water. Most sites that I have been to say to put in about 5 tablespoons to
>about 1 liter. It seems to me that you could put alot more than that. If
>so,
>would it make the caps more efficient, or is a limited amount of salt to
>water ratio sufficient?
>     I thought of using machine shop chips to fill the bottle. I used to
>work
>at a machine shop, and there was quite an abundant amount of very fine
>chips
>of varied types of materials. (brass, mild steel, stainless , copper, etc.)
>Bad idea? May be difficult to suppress corona, since oil won't float. Also,
>what about rolling up thin spring steels small enough to fit through the
>top
>of, for example, a beer bottle. With the spring steel being such a size
>that
>it will expand to the outside. I might just be making more work than can be
>accomplished with just salt water, but how can I be ridiculed on this list
>if I never express my ideas? (grin).

Don't worry, I get flack on a regular basis :)

The amount of salt is simple. Get a big stainless salad bowl (or any big
bowl, I happen to have stainless) and dump 5lbs of salt in it. Salt is VERY
cheap so you can't use too much.

Fill the bowl with water and stir until the water stops absorbing salt ,
then fill your caps, I reccomend hot water, it makes things easier. Your
caps will have a little salt on the bottom when finished, that's fine. It
doesn't hurt anything and makes sure they're super saturated.

Check out the Group's projects page on our famous Geek Group Bucket Caps,
they are one of the best designs of SW cap out there. Even though we are the
largest carrier of Coil Specific caps I still use SW caps for a lot of
testing in the lab. They're not as expensive to replace if you toast
something :)

>     Thanks,
>Bob Bozarth
>Experimenter