Re: Sources for Free Magnet Wire?

Original poster: "Bob Bozarth by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jbdetails-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Ya, I like to scrounge. That,and I'm a little to old to go door to door
asking if someone wants their lawn mowed. Since I don't even mow my own
anyway. I recently acquired about 10 AC induction motors. Some with starter
windings, some requiring caps. It took some planning, but I got enough 26ga
wire from one motor to make a 4.25"x30" secondary. I did have a couple of
splices though. I was meticulous about cleaning the ends, filing them at a
taper, then soldering the ends together. Wasn't to bad, I built a winding
machine using a windshield wiper motor and a gas/break pedal setup for my
computer steering wheel. I took the potentiometers out and built a
forward/reverse switch. I really only needed it for the pedal base so I
could turn the motor on and still have both hands. Didn't think I'd need it,
but the reverse came in very handy! BTW, I had to put a 6" pulley on the
motor, and a 2" pulley on the 1/2" shaft  that the form was mounted.
Otherwise it would a little bit to slow. The motor had two speeds too, which
helped when I added polyurethane.   Oops, am I still talking? Sorry about
that!

Bob Bozarth
Experimenter