Re: Triggered spark gap resistors

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 11:43 AM 01/11/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Jon Tebbs by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jgtebbs-at-eos-dot-net>

>Hi Ted, List,
>
>Terry's suggestion of the_series_ resistor placement probably came from
>an off list exchange I had with him several months ago.

<snip>

>Weazle, if my memory is correct, I believe you reported that you
>modified a dimmer with the _third_ lead brought out and found the
>jitter greatly improved?  I'd like to compare notes with you as I
>have not been able to confirm this.  Feel free to contact me off
>list if you wish.
>
>Hope this helps explain the _why_.
>--
>Jon G. Tebbs
><jgtebbs-at-eos-dot-net>

Hi Jon & coilers,

Yes, you are correct in that I did the third wire mod to the dimmer in
addition to adding a second much larger triac.  I've not needed to put
any big power wasting resistors across the driver circuit, as that is
taken care of within the dimmer by using a 3500 ohm, 5 watt resistor
that is right in the controller housing.  What I have tried and found
to be a bit helpful in expanding the physical range of the dimmer pot
setting is to put a 1 ohm resistor in series on each of the two leads
going from the controller to the coil base where the GM HEIC and 3 uF.
motor RUN cap are located.  It resulted in clamping down some of the
transcients that where being produced by the ignition coil, and also
they take the brunt of it before it gets clipped by the MOV's in the
controller.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca