Re: First coil

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 11/02/01 6:26 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Jake Draper by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com>
>
> Hi, I'm 13 years old and I just built my first coil recently. I am using a
> 15/60 NST with a 3.5" X 12" secondary hand wound with 27AWG. I can get 12-14"
> sparks off the topload (which is made from an aluminum dryer duct) which look
> very nice. My spark gap is 5 gaps made from 6 copper tubes. Anyways, the
first
> thing I would do for your coil is get it in tune and redo the primary. 3
> primary turns isn't very much and it might be better if you added more (10 or
> so) and played around with the different tap points to see where you can tune
> it. Secondly, your topload should be bigger and with less rough edges,
you can
> get creative with this. Also, if you can, use two MOTS in series with a
> voltage
> doubler to get 8-12KV at about 200-400mA of current which will GREATLY
improve
> your coil's performance. Good luck,
> Jake D.
> <mailto:cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com>cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com
> http://tasystems.cjb-dot-net

Joe; I like your posting, It brings back a lot of memories.
     Just as a suggestion, to hand wind a secondary easly in about an hour
make a simple roler stand out of wood (2x4) shaped like a flat "U" with a
nail in the top of each leg of the 'u" pointed in. use a No 16 nail. Cut a
piece of wood to just fit tight in the end of your coil form like a square
in a round hole. Carefuly mark the center of the wood and drill a 3/16 hole
in the center of the wood block in each end and assemble like a roler.Mount
the roler horizontaly in a shop vise to keep it stationary. Place your bulk
role of wire on the floor directly below your coil form end of coil up at
least 3 ft below your coil form. place about 2 ft of wire inside the
starting end of your coil form on the left end if you are right handed, and
start a few turns so the wire comes on top. When the turns lay streight then
put a small piece of tape on the wires to keep it all there. Don't worry
about the starting wires being neat, you correct that when finished. Put
your finger of your right hand on the coil with the wire under the edge of
your finger nail and your finger holding the wire tight and roll the coil
with your left hand. Put a piece of tape on your coil every 2 in so it will
stay tight when your finger slips, and it will. After you are finished put a
little spot af 5-min epoxy on 3 spots at the each end of your coil to hold
the wire tight and remove all the tape after the epoxy is hard. Now you are
ready to coat your coil.
    Robert H