Grid leak problem

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <terry-at-hot-streamer-dot-com> by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Terry!  Pls forward this to the List if you would be so kind

 Well, I drug out my toob coil a little bit ago, fired 'er off, and kept
smelling something a bit ,err, "funny".  I was really concerned about my 833,
so I kept the variac at about 10%, and started giving everything the "sniff
test."  Variac, MOT, doubler, MMC, everything seemed fine, till I got around to
the side of the coil and could see the grid leak network (the primary is
between me and it while I'm operating the coil.  As you can see from the pic,
there seems to be a bit too much grid current.  About the time I grabbed for
the variac I heard a snap, the resistor sparked, and the mains ammeter dropped
to zero. :/  I'm gonna dig into this more and see what I can turn up .
Hopefully I haven't toasted my tube.

 The moral of the pic,  "This is what grid leak resistor should *NOT* do!"

Thoughts? (other than something is *really* wrong with my setup)

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/hot_resistor.jpg

Shad