Re: 555 timer

Original poster: "Steve Greenfield by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alienrelics-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>
>
> Jonathon
>
> The 555 timer is a "universal" mixed signal timer IC
> that has been used for
> everything from PWM control of motors, to missing
> pulse detectors,
> to 1 bit A/D converters, to power supply
> controllers, to F/V converters
> (tachometers), to astable oscillators, to monostable
> timers to VTTC
> staccato controllers, HEI systems, to....
>
> The chip has been around from 25 years+, and is
> still one of the most
> flexible commercially available chips.

Yeah! The greatest chip ever made... Xenex (Xenix?)
even makes a version that will run off of one cell.

I know the connection by heart:

For an astable, 8 and 4 to Vcc, 1 to ground, R1 from
Vcc to pin 7, R2 from pin 7 to 2 and 6 (which are
connected together) and C1 from 2 and 6 to ground. Pin
5 is at 2/3 Vcc and can be modulated to change the
timing although it works better for altering the pulse
time when connected as a monostable.

I've used them as capacitance meters, voice altering,
analog to PWM amplifiers, missing pulse detectors,
simple switching regulator up converters, wireless
tachometers, sorta random number generators,
"flickering light" controllers, etc.

=====
Steve Greenfield               // Digital photo scanning, retouching,
Polymorph Digital Photography // and photomorphing to your specs.
253/879-0426 voice           // We use the best little computer in
polymorph-at-polyphoto-dot-com     // the world, the Amiga!
http://www.polyphoto-dot-com/  // Based in Tacoma, WA, USA