Re: FET coil questions

Hi Carl,

On 6 Nov 2001, at 14:31, Tesla list wrote:

<cwillis-at-guilford.edu>

> This is a set of questions for the SSTC folks.
>
> Background: I just lashed up a small coil that is driven from a 555 timer,
> gate driver chip, and IRF740 FET with the body diode isolated with the
> standard schottky and fast diode.  This coil draws about 100 watts and puts
> out 6"+ sparks, with another 555 timer interrupting the main oscillator in
> a staccato fashion to keep duty cycle low.
>
> Question #1:  Can I use an oscilloscope to make sure that the FET switching
> transitions look good?  There does seem to be some high-frequency ringing
> when I look at the signal recieved with the 'scope probe dangling near the
> FET gate.  Does anyone know what a good (i. e. the FET is not in danger of
> failing) signal should look like?

You should be able to connect the scope probe to the gate. You *must*
use mains isolation to run the supply. If you are not sure, DON'T.
When used as an aerial, the probe will be picking up mainly fields
from the windings.

> Question #2:  What is the best method for measuring peak primary current,
> and how much peak current should the IRF740 be subject to?  I know the
> specs say it will take 48 A or something on that order, but is it
> permissible to run at 48 A peak on every pulse in this sort of application?
>  I don't know the mechanism by which the FET would fail if the peak current
> is exceeded.  Maybe it just burns up because the localized heat cannot be
> dealt with, although the FET may be staying quite cool in general.

A very low value resistor in series with the source is the usual
method. You can directly measure the voltage across it (again bear
isolation in mind if you are doing it with a scope). You can use the
voltage developed to switch the gate drive off when a target current
is reached (e.g. a voltage comparator which SMPS control chips
typicall provide).

     A power MOSFET is not a single device but made up of a lattice
of hundreds of low power devices in parallel on a single die. If you
decide to exceed the DC drain current rating, make very sure that you
are allowed to do this on a repetitive basis or trouble will be
lurking. It will state this in the data sheets. You must take note of
the both pulse repetition and pulse width. Peak power dissipation is
the most likely killer if the electrode voltages are all under
control. Note that the "on" resistance of the device gives a clue as
to what is happening. Suppose it is 0.2 Ohms; an 8A current causes it
to drop 1.6V across its drain-source. If it is around 0.8 Ohms, it
will be dropping 6.4V! (IRF840 is an example). MOSFETs are not always
the panacea they appear to be.

> Question #3:  I'd like to isolate the gate with a pulse transformer, but
> all the ones I have made so far seem to decrease coil performance (so I am
> still using direct gate drive from the driver chip).  True, I have no clue
> what type of ferrite I wound the test transformers on.  In the future,
> should I get a bead that is recommended for the HF range? MF range? I may
> have also read something about pulse transformers not being able to handle
> pulse duty cycles different from 50% very well.  Is there truth to this
> claim?  What would be the reason?

It's not really a pulse transformer that you want. You actually want
a transformer which is as near to ideal as you can get it given the
on-time of you gate drive (i.e. no sag in the waveform).

Regards,
malcolm