control circuitry (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 23:18:12 +1000
From: Mr Gregory Peters <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: control circuitry

Hello all,

I am currently constructing a control unit for my 10kVA coil. I have
always read that line filters should be used on both sides of the
variac - to protect the variac from HV spikes and to dampen the surge
currents they create. However, someone has told me that I should not
use filters after the variac because high voltage surges can be created
(similar to those created by rf chokes used between the tank circuit
and the HV xformer). What do you think?

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,